To seek and save that which is lost.
In the year of 1865, a group of Christian pioneer citizens of the Piney Point community, took a step closer to God and made a property purchase off the 8000 block of Westheimer Road. This group was led by Rev. Max Austin and Sister Hannah Rasmus. The property was purchased from Mrs. Willie Canfield. Only one acre was purchased. Included on this site was a designated memorial plot. Shortly thereafter, construction began and the building was ready for occupation in the Spring of 1865. The name Pilgrim Rest was submitted by Rev. Max Austin and adopted by the church. The first minister to be called as Pastor of Pilgrim Rest Baptist Church was Rev. Max Austin. Due to transportation inconveniencies, the church was moved to the corner of Westheimer and Jeanetta; leaving the remaining property in its entirety for memorial space.
Under the leadership of Rev. E. A. Jones (1941-1955), the church was again moved to 3401 Jeanetta Road, due to inadequate space.